Quran Memorization Journey Tips — Choosing the right school and teacher
Each learner is different. We all have our own learning methods and needs. Therefore, it is imperative that you only select a teacher based on your style of learning. Ultimately, it is you as a student who will be progressing and learning daily at the feet of your teacher. The golden rule is to ensure that no matter which teacher you choose for your Quran memorisation journey, you must always honour and respect your beloved teacher.
One of the key reasons for including this section is that there are many students who struggle to progress or focus in the classroom because their relationship and connection with the teacher is not evident. Moreover, the school environment may not be suited to their needs. It is also vital that the mutual respect between a student and a teacher is always present.
- There is only so much one can learn by reciting Qur'an him/herself. Enrolling into a hifdh school will help to facilitate the Qur'an memorisation journey.
- Understanding the structure and systems of a hifdh school is essential. Undertake as much research as possible about the hifdh school before selecting which one to enroll in.
- Do not hold back on any queries you may have. Clarify any misconceptions or queries prior to enrolling into a hifdh school.
- Not every hifdh school is easy at the beginning. Therefore, do not be disheartened if you do not settle into a hifdh school immediately. Give it time and keep on trying.
- Ease of distance can help you to save time and focus more on your hifdh journey. Try to find a hifdh school which is fairly close to your home.
- Do not enroll into a hifdh school just because a friend or a family member has studied or is studying there. The intention needs to solely be for yourself and do not rely on anybody else.
- Time management is essential. Being punctual daily to your hifdh school will set a strong foundation for your learning journey of memorising the Qur'an.
- Your Qur'an memorisation journey is never going to just be easy. You will face hardships at your hifdh school. Be patient and learn to overcome these.
- Remember, even when you are outside of the hifdh school, you are still representing your institution. Always act like a person of the Qur'an.
- A good way to settle into a new hifdh school is by befriending elder and experienced hifdh students. Sit with them regularly and benefit from their knowledge and experience.
This is part 3 of a 10 part series.
- Preparation and Intention
- Inspirational Advice from the past
- Choosing the right school and teacher
- Tajweed and Reflection
- Ramadan Memorisation Tips
- Effective Diet & Sleep Intake
- Memory Retention Methods
- Utilising technology and resources
- Qur'anic Du'as (Supplications)
- Life after memorising the Qur'an
By Qari Ishaaq Jasat
With the tips adapted from the book: 365 Tips to Help Memorise the Qur'an.